1787
The Bruntsfield Club is formed.

The Golf Hotel
The Golf Hotel

1788
The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers requires members to wear club uniform when playing on the links.

The Golfing Society
The Golfing Society

1797
The Burntisland Golf Club is formed.

The town of St. Andrews sells the land containing the Old Course (known then as Pilmor Links), to Thomas Erskine for 805 pounds. Erskine was required to preserve the course for golf.

Picture of the old course
Picture of the old course

1806
The St. Andrews Club chooses to elect its captains rather than award captaincy to the winner of the Silver Cup. Thus begins the tradition of the Captain "playing himself into office," by hitting a single shot before the start of the annual competition.

1810
Earliest recorded reference to a women's competition at Musselburgh.

NEXT



The perfect golf swing  Affiliates  Partner websites  Golf Articles  Golf Articles II  Contact  Privacy Statement